Henry Morgan

Oratory seen through the lens of design

Emphasis – Scale/Placement

Movement/Rythym

Emphasis – Contrast/Isolation

Emphasis – Color

Balance – Asymmetrical

Contrast – Color

Unity/Harmony – Simplicity

Unity/Harmony – Proximity

Contrast – Tonal

Balance – Symmetrical

Scale/Proportion

Pattern/Repetition

1. I definitely believe my greatest strength in photography is found in the editing stage. I have a good understanding of color and light and how to manipulate it through photoshop. I’ve noticed that the area I could improve the most in would be the actual taking of the photo. I have shaky hands and am not used to using these Canon cameras, so it can effect the quality of the photos.
  2. I think that I should try taking more abstract photos. Our campus has been photographed in hundreds of ways over the years and I think that taking a less traditional approach to the photos I take could make my work more appealing. It would also improve my eye for photography.
  3. The photo I assigned Emphasis – Color is intended to convey a melancholic and lonely feeling. The isolation of the color in the flower is meant to personify it, and making the viewer feel a distinct loneliness. The detachment of the flower from it’s stem and its dead state also is supposed to make the viewer feel a empathy for the flower, and making them feel sad.
  4. I think that I would like to pursue color contrast in my photos to a greater extent. It is a great tool to catch peoples eye and emphasize the subject of your image. It is also an easy way to make a photo more attractive to the eye.
  5. One technique I want to use in a future project is masking saturation levels and other photoshop adjustments. It makes photos interesting to view and creates something that is otherwise impossible without editing. I love learning different concepts available from photoshop, and this is a very captivating one.

Next Post

Previous Post

2 Comments

1. dominicgor24 October 5, 2023

The two pictures that I liked the most here were the movement & rhythm one and the scale & proportion one. The movement & rhythm one caught my eye immediately as the patterns on the brick wall matched the grounds very well and made it look super smooth and captivating. The scale & proportion one I liked as the tiny piece of grass really stands out from the grass behind it. The one photo in the series that could be better is the contrast color one and the reason is because at first, it was hard to see the grass due to the different types of green and how it was hidden between the bricks, so maybe making it more noticeable could be fixed. The LEADING LINES technique was used very well in the movement & rhythm picture, which is why I felt mesmerized by the photo.

2. xavierlua24 October 6, 2023

I think that your understanding of composition, light, and framing in all of your photos are great, especially with how you edit them in photoshop. I specifically like your contrast – tonal photo the most as the lighting and white highlights on the dark areas make it look like waves. For your Unity/Harmony – Proximity photo, I think that you could make it look better if you changed the angle and zoomed in closer on the subject. For your emphasis – contrast/isolation photo, you used rule of thirds, as you placed the traffic cone (poi) on the left intersection rather than centering it.